Saturday, May 31, 2014

Day (Two and) Three: Welcome to My World

Yesterday came and went so quickly, I never found time to journal. Here's a quick recap: I was HUNGRY(!) most of the day. I'm sure that had to do with not eating much on Day One, and then, of course, being on a plan that I just can't go stuff my face with whatever is within reach. The good news is that I had no more sugar withdrawal symptoms; one day of feeling like crap, and I'm bouncing back to feeling good!

At this point, I haven't yet received all of the details from MRC for the long-term details to get me to 150 lbs. by October 1st. The first week is called "Pre-Conditioning" where you get a very general menu plan and a shopping list. I would guess the idea is to ease you into the healthy eating, without hitting you over the head right out of the gate with weighing and measuring.

So, yesterday went good. I was hungry, but I never once craved something sweet. That definitely proves to me that eating sugar causes you to want more and more sugar; the only way off that crazy ride is to give it up completely...I'm wondering if I can do that long-term. Obviously, my track record isn't very impressive. Who will support Weight Watchers if I finally kick my sugar habit???

I'm a baker in a bakery, and work four days a week. Yeah, I know. No wonder I'm 50 lbs. overweight. Today was my first day back after having three days off. I start work at 5:00 a.m., so I typically eat a banana on my way to work and then have a latte a couple of hours later. Wouldn't you know it? Neither bananas or lattes are on my Pre-Conditioning plan! (Bananas have too much sugar to make the fruit list, and milk also has sugar in the form of lactose. Let's not even talk about the sugar in the flavored syrups...yikes.) I've gained weight in the 10 months since I started working there, and it's no wonder. Everything is homemade, from the honey pecan sticky buns to the peanut butter fluffernut marshmallows, and it is ALL delicious. I should know; I've tried everything. I'm sure I nibble on cornbread, biscuits, a broken cookie, etc., way more than I realize, so that will continue to be a challenge being surrounded by the most wonderful smells and sights of homemade pastries and the best lattes in town. Here are just a few pictures I took one morning of a special order I had boxed up...so. damn. good.

Peach-basil biscuits, maple bacon biscuits, peanut butter cookies,
monster cookies, chocolate chip pecan cookies, and salted brownies.


Cinnamon rolls, cherry almond coffee cake, pecan coffee cake,
and, my very favorite, honey pecan sticky buns.

Honey latte...mmmm, so yummy.


Caffeinated drinks also didn't make the short list of the Pre-Conditioning menu, for the very reason that it's dehydrating. I'm not quite ready to give up caffeine, but I am limiting myself to one cup of black coffee or one Diet Coke per day, and then drinking extra water to keep myself "flushed". Black coffee may not be that difficult to give up, if ya' know what I mean...

I think the biggest challenge for me will be finding variety in meals, and coming up with recipes that are actually good. A dry chicken breast will get old really fast. I put a rump roast in the crockpot this afternoon that is rubbed with seasoning, (no salt), and 1/2 cup water added for moisture (no broth, either.) Hopefully, it won't be tough and bland. Here's a link to the recipe: Rump Roast Au Jus. Thinking I could have it with potatoes and green beans, and then recycle it into tacos. I'll report back on how it turned out.

In closing, Debunking the Myth of Sugar:


"A wise woman puts a grain of sugar into everything she says to a man, 
and takes a grain of salt with everything he says to her."
~ Helen Rowland

Actually, I think Helen is right about this one.




No comments:

Post a Comment